Carolina Young Birders

To gather, inspire, and empower the generations of birders to come

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Lake Norman Trip?

Martina

On the local listserv it seems that Lake Norman has a lot of rare birds (WW Scoters, Iceland Gull, Red-necked and Horned Grebes, Red-throated Loons, Lesser Black-backed Gull) and I was thinking maybe we can have a field trip to Lake Norman? Maybe on the upcoming weekend (15th-16th)? I would really like to go in a group rather alone!

On Sunday I'm almost 100% sure I can go, and on Saturday it's iffy because my dad is working and we have a soccer game. I know that there's a guy who does pelagic tours on the lake (I saw it on Meck. Audubon's field trip list a while ago) so maybe we could ask him.

Either way I thought it'd be a fun idea!

March 10, 2014 at 3:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

I saw that to on the listserv to. It would be a fun trip but some of the birds might move on by this weekend. But the idea is fun i am free saturday most likely and sunday have  i have a boy scout meeting possibly.

--

Evan Wunder

March 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

Hmm, maybe I could try on Saturday, but the main problem is that Lake Norman is about an hour from my house. And I don't know where the soccer game is.

March 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

I live about an hour away to

--

Evan Wunder

March 10, 2014 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

It looks like I can't go on Saturday, both my parents are working and we have the soccer game.  Unless somebody else can pick me up, which is unlikely,  Sunday is my best option. 

March 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

Well of course we would have to contact Dave Wright.  He has taken me out on his rig to see the Red necked Grebes this winter.  You could of course ask him, but he might need a little bit longer notice.  I can't come this weekend but we should get something set up with him, maybe before the end of this winter, or maybe later.  In late August there are usually good birds (Sabine's Gull is a remote possibility, as are Jaegers, often Black and Common Terns) and of course there is still next winter.  P.S. Martina are you coming on the Sandhills Field Trip?  Thanks Matt

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

President, Carolina Young Birders Club

March 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

Ok, so maybe not a pelagic. It would be nice to have a boat trip sometime too. I guess we could meet up by the explorium (where I think some were seen - can't remember off the top of my head) or by the dam.

For the Sandhills trip, I'm not 100% positive that I can go, mostly because my dad and I have a deal (I need to clean my room. :/) and if I don't then I can't go. At the moment it's iffy but I'll email you by next Wednesday if I can/can't. 

March 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

So my parents didn't tell me that today there wasn't a soccer game, it's tomorrow. So tomorrow I might be able to get to the lake possibly 10-11ish. The game starts at 3, so I won't be there 3 PM onwards.

March 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

Well Martina would you possibly be available for carpooling if you clean your room?

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

March 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

I've been messaging Evan so right now it's  looking good.  I visited the explorium today and it was closed, and we didn't go anywhere else. A little disappointed,  but it's so rainy that I probably wouldn't have seen anything. Hopefully they'll stick around for one more week! Has anybody checked out the Western Tanager? I don't know if he's still there.

March 16, 2014 at 10:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

I have not checked out the western tanager. Its probaly still their havent heard anything about it for a few days now. I do now their was a ross goose spotted. that sounded interesting. The ducks are on the move seeing them next week is probaly your best chance before their gone.

--

Evan Wunder

March 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

I haven't heard anything.  The Ross's Goose would be nice...  There are 2 Western Tanagers, male and female in Manteo right now so if you are out East you could make a side trip to them.  They have been very reliable.  Today I got a report of a Rufous Hummingbird that has been coming to a feeder the whole winter but the owners of the property haven't told anyone til today!!!  So it shows you that the birds could be around but the people feeding them either don't know that it is rare or they dont know that they should get the word out.

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

March 17, 2014 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.