Carolina Young Birders

To gather, inspire, and empower the generations of birders to come

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Some Field Trip/Event Ideas

Martina

I;ve been thinking about some ideas for the club for a while now. I think that it would be a good idea for a pelagic sometime, maybe in the summer. The topic has popped up a few times and I think it would be lots of fun.

A while ago I stumbled across this gallery. The person's class went to the Smithsonian and got to see their bird collection. I thought it would be a great idea if we could visit a museum and check out their specimens- The North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences has a big collection (here). The admission is free (other than a couple of things, such as movies).

Another idea that I had was maybe a trip to Congaree National Park? The Meck. Audubon's trip is on April 12th, but I can't go because we'll be in Arkansas on spring break. I went last year and had a blast (Matt was there! We saw Hooded Warblers, a Barred Owl, a Prothonotary Warbler, B/W Warbler, blue-grey gnatcatchers, and lots of other migrants!). I think another great place would be the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I don't know the best spots there.

These were just some suggestions I've been mulling over, and I thought it was about time to share them! 

March 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

I like the ideas. I am familiar with some spots on the blue ridge parkway. Since my family goes up there during the summer all the time. Grand father mountain is a good place. Mt.Mitchell is pretty good to. I  saw tons of Ruby-throated huming birds last year. My highest count was about 30 At once feeding at a large flower patch. 

Cedar waxwings stay up at the mountains all year round. Ravens also you can see. Their are some places off the blue ridge that get the Red crossbill once in a while. Some black capped chickadees come down once in a while. Warblers are great during the summer in the mountains.

--

Evan Wunder

March 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

I like Mt Mitchell, and I think Martina has a great idea about Congaree!  One of the members lives in Columbia (SC- there is a NC one too :) ) so I think she would be able to come out.  Congaree is great, and if anyone has a kayak/canoe, the birding from the water there is phenomenal.  We could do a birding by kayak- everyone bring their boats (I have a 3-seater), and we could go from there.  Also towards the end of summer I have a birding friend from near Albany coming down to Topsail Island so we could do a field trip and he could come along (the more the merrier :) ).

See y'all Saturday,

Matt

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

President, Carolina Young Birders Club

March 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

Wow! Martina, great find!  I love that photo gallery!  Like you said, the NCMSM has a great collection, plus I know the guy (Don Seriff, he is the nature coordinator for Mecklenburg Co. Parks and Rec.) that gives them a LOT of specimens.  We could probably get permission to go behind the scenes.  Also, the York Co. Museum of Natural History (York, SC) has an area where visitors can handle and examine specimens.  Of course, they've gotten ratty over years of visitor usage, but it is closer to home.

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

March 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeff

i would like to see something in the mountains or coast especially obx

--

Jeff Janson

Catch fish or die trying

March 26, 2014 at 7:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Christopher

Good fihsin  n huntin out there for all of us non-birders!!!!!

--

Cuz dinner dont shoot it self- Ted Nugent     :P

"A man can be destroyed but not defeated" - Ernest Hemmingway, The Old Man and the Sea

"The only reason I ever played golf in the first place was so that I could afford to hunt and fish."  Sam Snead

March 26, 2014 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

Jeff, glad you're here.  Check out our new thread concerning the meeting/field trip this August!

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

March 26, 2014 at 7:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeff

amen

--

Jeff Janson

Catch fish or die trying

March 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

This is an idea i heard from a friend. His birding club does a birding marothon one day each year. They split into teams and go all over the his home state to see which team can see the most species. They have a 24 hour time period to do so.

Thought this was a cool idea.

--

Evan Wunder

April 2, 2014 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

great idea.  I did a birding hour competition once, which was SO fun.  Also in New Jersey they have the World Series of Birding which is a 24 hr birding marathon like you say.  Teams from all over the country compete, there is a young birder division at Cape May.  Once we get enough members I would like to support a team.  we should do a big day this year!!!

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

April 2, 2014 at 7:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

I now of one in georgia. It might be cool to step off home turf.

--

Evan Wunder

April 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.