Carolina Young Birders

To gather, inspire, and empower the generations of birders to come

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Red-cockaded News

Martina

So I reported the banded Red-cockaded Woodpecker we saw at Weymouth Woods-Sandhills, and I got a report back a couple days ago. Here's what I got:

Martina,

Thank-you for your observation. This bird is a second year female banded in southern pines by Sandhills Ecological Institute. Kerry Brust is the lead of this nonprofit organization and has addressed your observation below.

(see below)

-----Original Message-----

From: Kerry Brust [mailto:[email protected]dhillsecological.org]

Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 12:05 PM

To: Schillaci, Jessie M CIV USARMY IMCOM ATLANTIC (US)

Subject: RE: Aux. Marker Ref. ID: 41153 encountered 03/22/2014. BLL-192.A (UNCLASSIFIED)

Hi Jess,

That is so funny because I just observed this bird at Weymouth Woods SNP in the last hour! (address 1024 Fort Bragg Rd, So Pines). I read the photo as WHDGDG (not DGDGWH) PUB5 - this would be a second year female (SY-F) banded in Sept 2013 as a juvenile who remains in her natal cluster SOPI 1. What is also cool about her is I saw a black rat snake a month later in the cavity I caught her in and I was worried she may have been snake food!

You can forward this to observer and BBL, unless you want me to follow up.

Kerry

-----Original Message-----

From: Schillaci, Jessie M CIV USARMY IMCOM ATLANTIC (US) [mailto:[email protected]]

Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 10:10 AM

To: Kerry Brust

Subject: FW: Aux. Marker Ref. ID: 41153 encountered 03/22/2014. BLL-192.A (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Caveats: NONE

Hey K--any ideas on this bird? From the photos it appears to be DGDGWH-PUAL, however it is the Kelly green and it doesn’t really look purple, it looks magenta. DGDGWH is 2007 female from 367 (NEA) and DGDGLP is 526 SAL which would be an AHY 2003 female--neither seems likely and the PU looks magenta....which I know steve has used, but we never use it. Any thoughts?

Pretty cool! It was very nice to see WHDGDG PU5!

April 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

U gotta love the numbers!  Really cool, Martina!!!

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

President, Carolina Young Birders Club

April 10, 2014 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

U gotta love the numbers!  Really cool, Martina!!!

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

President, Carolina Young Birders Club

April 10, 2014 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.