Carolina Young Birders Club

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Break Birding

evan

How was everyones birding during the their break.

--

Evan Wunder

April 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

it was ok i was in West Jefferson, a couple ravens at Mt Jefferson were new for the year as well as a bunch of black and white warblers.  A hooded warbler calling in a snowstorm was also new for the year and definitely not a bird you would expect to find in a snow fall!

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

President, Carolina Young Birders Club

April 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

You had snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As you some of you know i went to table rock mountain. I saw a black throated green warbler and a loisiana water thrush which are both lifers. I also had ravens and other common birds.

P.S.

I know my spelling is not correct.

Evan

--

Evan Wunder

April 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

cool! and yes it did snow last tuesday.

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

April 21, 2014 at 4:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

Well, I think I'll be making a blog post soon about my trip to AR, since I'm still sifting through all of my photos. I saw 12 lifers (although all but one could be found here in NC) which was great. AR has TONS of Black-and-White Warblers, crows, jays, and vultures! Lots of wildlife too, we saw a lot of deer, turtles, some snakes, rabbits, fence lizards, and turkeys!

April 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

Neat! Did you get the Roadrunner?

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

April 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

No, and I wasn't expecting to find any. The birders I asked said they were very uncommon- one had been birding there for years and had never seen one. However I did catch some Scissor-tailed Flycatchers- according to a ranger I spoke to, I came in the worst week of April. All of the pintail and gadwall had just moved out and the flycatchers and some other migrants hadn't moved in. If you check my flickr page I've already uploaded pictures, and I'll try to get them on here soon. My school had this site blocked so normally I upload to flickr first.

April 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeff

Martina at April 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Well, I think I'll be making a blog post soon about my trip to AR, since I'm still sifting through all of my photos. I saw 12 lifers (although all but one could be found here in NC) which was great. AR has TONS of Black-and-White Warblers, crows, jays, and vultures! Lots of wildlife too, we saw a lot of deer, turtles, some snakes, rabbits, fence lizards, and turkeys!

In west jefferson we saw a lot of the same species of birds!!  Sounds like a fun trip.  For fence lizards, the Eastern Fence lizard is very common along trails in Colonel Beattys's park.  Would be very interested to see what specie it is as i am extremely interested in The herps of the carolinas as well.  I am very interested in the snake species if you could please post a pic somewhere on the site if you have one or give me a general description of the markings and size.

--

Jeff Janson

Catch fish or die trying

April 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

Thanks for the insight Jeff, I saw Martina's kingsnake pic and it was most definitely a chequered variety of Eastern Kingsnake

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

April 22, 2014 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

I'll include the reptiles I saw too, and I showed Matt today at the YMCA a Northern Water Snake we also saw. I don't know a lot about herps but a field guide to wildlife of North America helped a little. Unfortunately the kingsnake was dead.

April 22, 2014 at 9:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

I'll have some pictures of western birds in july. I am heading to colorado. For a family trip.

--

Evan Wunder

April 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.