Carolina Young Birders

To gather, inspire, and empower the generations of birders to come

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Christmas Bird Count

evan

I know the local audubons do christmas bird counts but is it possible to organize a young birders one.

--

Evan Wunder

October 29, 2014 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

I've never been on a CBC before, and this year I'll be in Asheville when Meck. Audubon is doing theirs. If we did organize one, I wouldn't be able to make it.

November 5, 2014 at 10:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

Great idea, but I think the existing CBCs need all the help we could get.

Also arranging date and time can be a pain, besides Mecklenburg Gaston and s. Iredell are already pretty well covered :(

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

President, Carolina Young Birders Club

November 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

What about Union? As far as I know there isn't one here... but then again, it's not the best birding spot.

November 13, 2014 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

Union county does not have a christmas bird count. I remember I did research what it would take to conduct one it was a lot of organizing and data collection.

Martina I would have to disagree with your statement. I believe union county is a very good birding spot I do realize were you are coming from. We have very few parks and green ways. Most of the habitats are on private property or is difficult to get to. The county is home to cane creek park which is are largest park in the county I believe this is an under birded park due to location. Union county is home to two carolina thread trail greenways. One complete and is hardly known or used it is in mineral springs. Carolina thread trail is constucting another greenway in waxhaw the first fase is just know complete. After it is all set and done it should be at least 14 miles long and it runs along 12 mile creek. Several towns here also have small parks with nature trails. Monroe has a few parks to. The southern side of the county is mostly farm land. As people continue to move to union county more parks will be built and birding will be more accessible and more birders will come here. It seems bad for birding due to the amount of known spots people still have to find them. Once I recieve my drivers licenses I plan on finding some of these spots and finding new species that are out their in the county but not have been logged yet. Union county has birds but it is the fact of finding them.

--

Evan Wunder

November 13, 2014 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

I wasn't saying Union was devoid of birds, but it's just really under-birded. I've been meaning to check out the lakes (Can Creek and Twitty) for some ducks and George Andrews, the top birder, goes kayaking on Cane Creek where he finds ducks. I didn't know about any Thread trails either. I said that because I thought a CBC would be hard to organize in Union since the best spots are pretty far from each other. It also doesn't help that on eBird there's only seven hotspots, with one being a stakeout for that Dickcissel and one that's hard to get to (my neighborhood, unless you live there. There isn't much parking). 

Speaking of spots, have you checked out Fred Kirby park? You might be able to find it on Google maps. It's in Lake Park. I went there once during a soccer game and was pretty surprised with the birds I found- Acaidian Flycatcher, parula, Chestnut-sided, and others. I haven't checked it out again, but it has potential. Where is the Mineral Springs trail and what is it called? This weekend I could check them out.

November 14, 2014 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

evan

You have to check out the thread trails website I don't know off the top of my head. I don't know if lake twitty is acsesible by foot. I beleive you have to go by boat around the lake. I haven't found much aditional information on lake twitty. Also this is a little far but for the future wingate university has a large natural area with swamp lands, fields and forests. If you go birding saturday let me know I might beable to meet you If thats ok. 

--

Evan Wunder

November 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

I'm busy Saturday, sorry! I know I'll be able to go out on Sunday, though. Is Wingate accesible to the public? 

November 14, 2014 at 6:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.