Carolina Young Birders Club

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Field Trip Planning

Martina

So I noticed a lot of the birders won't be able to make it to Nag's Head, and that's completely understandable. It is expensive and logistics are tricky. So far the club has had only two field trips- Weymouth Woods last year and now the upcoming Nag's Head trip. I think we should plan a lot of bigger trips for the upcoming year, in different places around the Carolinas so everyone has a chance to come. Like, for winter it could be duck or sparrow-y spots, spring could be hotspots like Congaree, summer could be to the beach for shorebird spots or the cooler mountains for breeding warblers and mountain specialties, and fall could be for shorebirds (sod farms) or other migrant traps. It would be cool if we could arrange big or major trips monthly or bi-monthly.

Also, we could arrange some smaller, more local trips, like we've done before. It might be harder for people who are farther away, though, but it would be a good way to meet some people locally. I hope I can lead another trip in a few months after school settles down.

What do you guys think? We could also start some conservation stuff (like putting up nuthatch boxes) too or some community events to get ourselves out there. I think there's more young birders out there than we think, we just need to find them!

January 26, 2015 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

Great Idea. Like Nuthatch Houses & T-shirts.

I know it is far away but trying the Outer Banks in May/June would be nice and could be complimented with a pelagic (think petrels, shearwaters, terns like Bridled & Sooty and with a few 4-leaf clovers a tropicbird)

Savannah NWR too that would help folks from SC come, sod farms I like, etc, there is a world of possibilities,

Even Warbler Road in VA.

Matt

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

President, Carolina Young Birders Club

February 11, 2015 at 6:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

CLEMSON CBC MEETING!!!!??????

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

February 11, 2015 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Ruppenthal

New River SP in the mountains is apparently really good for warbler migration during the spring, which is coming up.  I'm not really familiar with SC birding besides Congaree so SC folks can shoot out ideas if they like. I like the OBX idea for pelagics in the summer- another young birder I know went on one and got LOTS of seabird lifers.

--

Ian Ruppenthal

February 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

yes, most spots in the mountains are really good for migration in spring, like NRSP, Jackson Park, Pisgah NF/Pink Beds, Blue RIdge PKWY.

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

February 14, 2015 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

You know, with this cold horrible weather right now a road trip to Florida sounds great!  Scrub-jays, Snail Kites, Short-tailed Hawk...  We should do that next winter

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

February 14, 2015 at 7:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Ruppenthal

Definitely!  Is anyone attending any young birders' camps this summer?

--

Ian Ruppenthal

February 16, 2015 at 5:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Ruppenthal

Also Limpkin and Frigatebird in Florida

--

Ian Ruppenthal

February 16, 2015 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

I am applying to Cornell young birders event

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

February 17, 2015 at 12:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Ruppenthal

You know what might be fun? Meeting up later in the evening (or early in the morning) over the summer and looking/listening for any fun nocturnal/crepuscular birds that might be out (Bobwhite, Whip-poor-will, maybe a Chuck).  Cownan's Ford(?), West Branch(?).  I'd do it by myself, but I'm not into walking in the woods alone at night haha.

--

Ian Ruppenthal

March 22, 2015 at 9:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Martina

Hey, that'd be fun. We could try for owls too.

I had an idea where we could do a spring "big sit". Maybe grab some lawn chairs and go to Latta Park and just watch the warblers, tanagers, and thrushes! Lazy birding!

March 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jack Rogers

I agree that we need more trips in SC, and I'd be happy to lead one in the Charleston area.  Santee Coastal is great for rarirty hunting (Ruff and EUWI were seen in the winter here), longleaf pine specialties (RCWO, BHNU, BASP), shorebirds, ducks, etc., etc.  Savannah often has good stuff, but IMO Santee is the best in the county.  Just south of the county, Bear and Donnely Island are the "Black Rail capitals of the world", and I'll be doing some work for them this summer and would love help/company!  Caw Caw Interpretive Center has guided walks on Saturdays ($4), but I'm friends with all of the workers there and can get us a discounted private tour.  Magnolia Gardens has guided walks on Sundays (lot more expensive), but it is much more expensive and better in the winter.  I have only birded Savannah NWR one, but we had a good checklist for the winter (over 80 species iirc).  Bull Island has some good birding, but you have to take the Ferry to get out there.  Patriot's Point in Mt Pleasant is spectacular in spring migration.  Folly Beach usually has better winter birding (PIPLs, RTLOs, BOGUs, etc. etc.).  You can contact me at jack@4rogers.com for more info about low country birding if needed, and, like I said, I'd be glad to lead a trip!

March 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Ruppenthal

I'd be up for that, Black Rail sounds great!

--

Ian Ruppenthal

March 23, 2015 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Matt
Site Owner

Jack sounds great, I still have some lowcountry lifers I need like Swallow Tailed Kite and Purple Gallinule.  Is late august a good time for this or are the kites gone by then?  Also when do the black rails call? 

--

Matthew Janson

Charlotte, NC

March 23, 2015 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jack Rogers

Black Rails are most vocal in June-early July.  By late August, most birds have slowed down completely and it is hard to get more than 40-ish birds in a day.  STKI is still possible during the late summer, but uncommon.  PUGA is a very uncommon bird (even around Donnely-Bear area).  If we had a summer trip, I would very highly suggest as early on in the summer as possible, so we can beat post-breeding dispersal.

April 5, 2015 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.